As of November 10, 2020 – Updated Garden of Remembrance Protocols for Covid-19
Montgomery County, Maryland now prohibits
gatherings of more than 25 people.
The Garden of Remembrance Gan Zikaron Memorial Park continues to monitor the COVID-19 situation and the information we are receiving from Partner Congregations, Funeral Homes, and Vendors; County, State and Federal Guidelines; and health authority advisories. Montgomery County, Maryland has recently amended its guidelines which affect our practices for burials.
- In keeping with State and County guidelines, the maximum attendance at outdoor graveside funerals has been reduced from 50 to 25 people. Attendees must wear masks and be socially distanced (six feet) from one another. Protective gloves are recommended. Only graveside burials will be allowed; our Gazebo will be temporarily closed.
- We will continue to refrain from distributing blankets or umbrellas in the event of inclement weather, and any kippot (yarmulkes) or handouts we distribute will not be collected back from guests. Based upon recommended guidelines, we will continue to refrain from providing shovels for the ritual filling of graves. Attendees should feel free to bring and take home their own shovels or trowels. Many families have found it meaningful to deposit earth with their hands rather than a shovel during these unusual times.
- To encourage “social distancing” and reduce the spread of disease, we will continue to provide chairs only for immediate family members and those unable to stand. Guests other than immediate mourners will be asked to stand outside of the erected tent. Please remind clergy that attendees will be standing as this may affect the length of the burial service.
- To protect against possible infection and protect our maintenance staff, caskets will continue to be removed from the funeral coach and immediately lowered prior to the beginning of the burial service.
- Please notify our staff immediately if the burial is of a victim of COVID-19 so that our staff can prepare in accordance with CDC Guidelines.
- Visitors to our office and restroom will be required to wear a mask. Masks and hand sanitizer are available in the office. We have increased the cleaning and sanitizing of our offices and restroom.
- To assist families with live-stream a graveside services, we are able to provide tripods for cell-phone ZOOM video streaming and a portable Bluetooth speaker that families may utilize with staff assistance and supervision.
As always, the health, safety, and well-being of our families and staff are our foremost priority. Please feel free to call us with any questions or concerns. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
As a courtesy to our bereaved families, during the Covid pandemic with restricted attendance, we are able to provide equipment to assist a family with livestreaming and recording a funeral service for those unable to attend.
The Garden of Remembrance can offer tripods and a tablet to families to use for Zoom funeral services. Families are requested to create their own Zoom meeting and to forward the link and information to the Garden of Remembrance staff at [email protected]. If a family does not have a Zoom account, the Garden of Remembrance account may be used, if available.
If requested, a member of our staff can assist with the graveside broadcast but please understand that we are not professional videographers and that we cannot control the connection links, recording technology, wind conditions, the volume of those speaking, or other factors that may affect the audio or visual quality of the live or recorded memorial service.
Most of the Funeral Homes offer professional audio-visual services to their families or can direct you to an independent professional, if desired.
Thank you for your understanding. We are pleased to offer this courtesy assistance at no charge to our bereaved families with an understanding of our limitations.