As of July 1, 2021 – Updated Garden of Remembrance Protocols for Covid-19
Montgomery County, Maryland has removed limits on outdoor gatherings.
We are grateful that the Covid-19 pandemic is waning, and the vaccines are having a positive effect enabling the Garden of Remembrance Gan Zikaron Memorial Park to resume many of our practices to serve families and the community to the fullest. Following County, State and Federal Guidelines along with health authority advice and advisories, we have amended our guidelines.
- In keeping with State and County guidelines, the limit on attendance at outdoor graveside funerals has been eliminated. Attendees are not required to wear masks outside although authorities recommend being socially distanced (six feet) from one another. Our Gazebo is now open for funerals and events.
- Any kippot (yarmulkes) or handouts we distribute will not be collected back from guests.
- We will begin providing shovels for the ritual filling of graves. For those uncomfortable sharing shovels, families may bring their own shovels, gloves, or sanitizer. Some have found it meaningful to deposit earth with their hands rather than a shovel during these unusual times.
- We encourage “social distancing” under the tent for immediate family members. Families may request guests to stand outside of the erected tent.
- Pallbearers will be allowed to assist from the funeral coach to the gravesite and are encouraged to wear masks due to the proximity. Caskets will continue to be immediately lowered when brought to the gravesite prior to the beginning of the burial service.
- Please notify our staff immediately if the burial is of a victim of COVID-19 so that our staff can prepare in accordance with CDC Guidelines.
- Visitors to our office and restroom who are not vaccinated are required to wear a mask. Masks and hand sanitizer are available in the office.
- To assist families to live-stream a graveside service, if requested, we are able to provide a tablet and tripods for StreamSpot video streaming linked through our website. Please refer to our Video Live-Streaming Guidelines.
As always, the health, safety, and well-being of our families and staff are our foremost priority. Please feel free to call us with any questions or concerns. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
New Garden of Remembrance Live Streaming Platform Beginning July 1, 2021
As a courtesy to bereaved families during the Covid pandemic, when attendance at funerals was restricted, the Garden of Remembrance began offering live-streaming and recording of graveside services and provided equipment to assist families with Zoom broadcasts.
We have now transitioned to a new platform, StreamSpot, to relieve the scheduling burden on families, to simplify the process, and to better secure against hacking and interruption. For families wishing to live-stream a burial service or unveiling, a link will be found on our website homepage (gardenofremembrance.org); it will allow up to 200 family members and friends to connect. StreamSpot will also be available in our forthcoming Memorial Chapel.
Through StreamSpot, services and unveilings will be live-streamed and recorded, then sent to the family to download, preserve, and share. While StreamSpot does not provide two-way communications with online participants, families will no longer have to worry about distributing a Zoom link or password or requesting that participants mute their computers.
Upon request, a member of our staff will provide this graveside broadcast, but please understand that we are not professional videographers and cannot control connection strength, recording technology, wind conditions, volume of speakers, or other factors that may affect the audio or visual quality of a live-streamed and recorded memorial service. If a live-stream or recording of high quality is important to you, many Funeral Homes offer professional audio-visual services to their families or can direct you to an independent professional.
We are pleased to offer this courtesy assistance at no charge to our bereaved families. For additional information, please call the Garden of Remembrance office at 301-428-3000.