As of August 7, 2021 – Updated Garden of Remembrance Protocols for Covid-19
Montgomery County, Maryland has imposed indoor mask requirements.
We are hopeful that the Covid-19 pandemic is waning and that the vaccines are having positive effects but the recent increase in cases caused by the new variant has triggered Montgomery County and surrounding areas to impose a mask requirement for indoor spaces. Following County, State and Federal Guidelines along with health authority advice and advisories, we have amended our guidelines.
- Effective August 7, 2021, visitors and staff members will be required to wear masks when meeting in the memorial park office.
- All staff members are required to be vaccinated. Anyone not yet vaccinated will be required to wear a mask at all times and have regular Covid-19 testing.
- There is currently no limit on attendance at outdoor graveside funerals. Unvaccinated attendees are encouraged to wear masks outside and be socially distanced (six feet) from one another. Our outdoor Gazebo is open for funerals.
- Any kippot (yarmulkes) or handouts we distribute will not be collected back from guests.
- We will continue providing shovels for the ritual filling of graves. For those uncomfortable sharing shovels, families may bring their own shovels, gloves, or sanitizer. Some have found it meaningful to deposit earth with their hands rather than a shovel during these unusual times.
- We encourage “social distancing” under the tent for immediate family members. Families may request guests to stand outside of the erected tent.
- Pallbearers are allowed to assist from the funeral coach to the gravesite and asked to wear masks if unvaccinated due to the close proximity. Caskets will be immediately lowered when brought to the gravesite prior to the beginning of the burial service to allow our cemetery staff to safely separate from the attendees.
- Please notify our staff immediately if the burial is of a victim of COVID-19 so that our staff can prepare in accordance with CDC Guidelines.
- Visitors to our office and restroom who are required to wear a mask. Masks and hand sanitizer are available in the office.
- To assist families to live-stream a graveside service, if requested, we are able to provide a tablet and tripod for StreamSpot video streaming linked through our website. Please refer to our Video Live-Streaming Guidelines.
Our thanks to the community clergy, funeral homes, partner congregations, and our dedicated, essential staff members for their selfless work during the height of the pandemic.
Garden of Remembrance Live Streaming Platform
As a courtesy to bereaved families during the Covid pandemic, when attendance at funerals can be affected, the Garden of Remembrance can provide live-streaming video of graveside services.
We use the StreamSpot platform to relieve the scheduling burden on families, to simplify the process, and to better secure against hacking and interruption. For families wishing to live-stream a burial service or unveiling, a link will be found on our website homepage (gardenofremembrance.org) and will allow up to 200 family members and friends to connect. StreamSpot will also be available in our forthcoming Memorial Chapel.
Through StreamSpot, services and unveilings will be live-streamed and archived in our Streamspot cloud. While StreamSpot does not provide two-way communications with online participants, families do not have to worry about distributing a Zoom link or password or request that participants mute their computers. A link to the recorded archive can be accessed by families.
Upon request, a member of our staff will provide this graveside broadcast, but please understand that we are not professional videographers and cannot control connection strength, recording technology, wind conditions, volume of speakers, or other factors that may affect the audio or visual quality of a live-streamed and recorded memorial service. If a live-stream or recording of high quality is important to you, many Funeral Homes offer professional audio-visual services to their families or can direct you to an independent professional.
We are pleased to offer this courtesy assistance at no charge to our bereaved families. For additional information, please call the Garden of Remembrance office at 301-428-3000.